VMware Workspace ONE Community
glennc1968
Contributor
Contributor

Airwatch on 2008r2

So i have my airwatch 9.6.0.18   on server 2008r2    I dont have time to do a migration at this time.   Has anyone done a in place upgrade to 2012 and than 2016?   
Labels (1)
12 Replies
Vestengen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Should probably work fine. I grss you're running virtual. Do a snapshot. Upgrade Windows. Upgrade Workspace One to fix IIS if there is any problems. I recomend to install a new Windows 2016 server, install Workspace One and change DNS/Firewall to your new server. Probably faster than inplace upgrade and less downtime.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I agree with Petter that setting up a new server is a faster and safer way than in-place OS upgrade.
0 Kudos
glennc1968
Contributor
Contributor

it made me nervous I got to the point of the fresh install that asked for ports and I was like a deer in head lights.   i know very little about airwatch.  
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Glenn, are you primarily responsible for managing your AirWatch environment? Most, if not all, of the time, the default ports should suffice.
0 Kudos
glennc1968
Contributor
Contributor

I am very reluctantly. I can manage it somewhat.  
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can ignore the ports issue by getting your server name and iP address swapped over to the new server it will have to be built with a different name but then you can just swap that over right before you do the install for it being the new one
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

You can export the settings of your DS servers following this:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1907/UEM_Installation/GUID-AWT-RUN-APP-SERV-ADDL...

The entire install instructions setup. Trust me, back in the day installs were done blindly and you had to pay 😉 , literally

if any of that doesn't work, just re-run the installer on any Console or DS server you currently run and copy the screens as they will be pre-filled with your settings.

You could also export the registry keys as well. Many ways to do it.

Happy days!

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1907/UEM_Installation/GUID-AWT-INSTALL-INTRO.htm...
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

When re-running the installer, just don't finish it and actually run the install, no need.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We actually talked with support and got warned not to use the export and import on different server versions it apparently has IIS specific settings in it so will not go to a newer server gracefully it can only be used on identical servers (like for load balancing)
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

In the end it's just not that daunting anymore. It's pretty straight forward if you have an infrastructure already.
0 Kudos
glennc1968
Contributor
Contributor

Ok went the new server route.  Now stupid question How does it pull software packages? and the like  DO i need to migrate that piece?   is there steps on this>  
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Those should be in your database or network share so as long as you are not hosting the network share on the server you will not need to do anything, if you are copy the contents of the share and make sure you get the rights and it re-shared properly and there are no migration steps AirWatch seemed baffled that anyone would ever do that when asked for instructions for that
0 Kudos