VMware Workspace ONE Community
ChrisChadwick
Contributor
Contributor

Airwatch Launcher on Work managed device

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to get launcher to work on an Android work managed device? No matter what I have tried the device dosn't seem to download the apps or launch the launcher. If I go into the profile I can see it has pulled down the policy but it says ' Lockdown (not supported)? This is on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 running Android version 7 so it should work as far as I can tell looking through the support docs. There is already a ticket on this subject 115008170347 but it wont open with a 1304 error So having to ask again. Thanks in advance for any help Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you doing any kind of whitelisting via application control?
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just tried it on my old Tab S2 and it worked perfectly. Public and internal applications delivered and the launcher is there. I suspect something going on with your configuration. If you are using application control, you will have to whitelist EVERY application for it to install. Not sure if that includes the launcher though, I don't believe I have ever had to do that one before.
0 Kudos
gaetanosavoca
Contributor
Contributor

i think it depending how you enrolled the device, for your purpose you need to enroll it under work manage mode
0 Kudos
ChrisChadwick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi
The device is set to Corp Owned - Corp dedicated.

The only thing I'm trying to push out at the moment is an internal application just to try to get it to initially do something. I don't think you can add internal apps to a white list?

Is the Launcher a separate external app for download? It has always worked in the past in legacy so thought it was something built into air-watch.

0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

and in the OG where you are testing this out, you have gone into Settings > Devices & Users > Android > Android EMM Registration > Enrollment Settings and turned on ' work managed device'  there? Also under enrollment restrictions you have changed it to ' always use android' ?  Also when you created the Launcher profile, you did not select the legacy android profile correct, you used the one that says ' Android' ? Sorry I don't mean to be cute, just starting at square one to make sure you didn't miss a step.
0 Kudos
VincentBrunet
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case, have you forget : Settings > Devices & Users > Android > Service Applications > AirWatch Launcher Version
0 Kudos
ChrisChadwick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Elizabeth

You can be cute as you like if it gets it fixed

Work Managed Enrollment = User-Based
Fully Managed Device Enrollment = Work Managed Device
Enrollment Method = Always use Android

Profile is defiantly Just Android.

0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

LOL! ok, let's work on one issue at a time then. Launcher first - Is the launcher profile getting delivered to the device? Is the launcher application showing in the console on the apps tab for the device?
0 Kudos
ChrisChadwick
Contributor
Contributor

No. As far as I can tell the launcher is not getting pushed out to the device to start with.

Under the device I get the warning ' Launcher is not set as the home app or is not installed' . On the device if I go to change the default launcher manually the only option is TouchWiz
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have any custom XML code in the launcher profile? I have this one XML code that I am working on that is not quite right so when I add it to the same profile as the launcher profile it doesn't push from the console. I had to create a new payload profile with the XML code only until I figure out what I have done wrong.   Also.... have you tried creating a new very basic launcher profile (use multi app mode) and just push out the Hub and your internal app only? I would start there to see if it is the profile causing the issue.
0 Kudos
HugoA_EOG
Contributor
Contributor

I've tested Android Launcher. We are on-prem 1907.

To get Launcher to work, I ran the seed script to update to the latest Launcher 4.4.1 against the AW DB. I've also tested launcher 4.0 - 4.4 in the past as well.
Aside from applying the seed scripts to update launcher to latest version, I set 2 things on AW. 1.) ensure settings are correct on Settings > Devices & Users > Android > Service Applications > AirWatch Launcher Version as mentioned here. I have all the check boxes enabled. 2.) created an Android Profile > Launcher payload.

Once the payload is pushed to the android device. It automatically launched.

Device I'm using is a Work Managed Samsung Galaxy Tab A Tablet (SM-T580 model). Tested with Android 7 and 8.1

seed script: https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/q798g44qxvctkqmhqgq8/en
4.4.1 APK (internal apps): https://resources.workspaceone.com/view/j3llnzvydvhm2n6k452n/en
0 Kudos
ChrisChadwick
Contributor
Contributor

Morning all.

Elizabeth C - There is no XML code and all that is being pushed out is the launcher and the app still with no joy 😞

Hugo A - Everything is ticked apart from ' Push app from play store' . I did try this but it seemed t make no difference so I unchecked it as it was previously not set. The highest version of launcher I can select is 4.3.0? If there is a newer version how do I update this is SaaS? Both those links you have posted throw up an error when I try to go to them.
0 Kudos
HoanLeHoanLe1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm having this issue as well. I have a device that was previously enrolled as a Work Managed device about a month ago and it successfully installed Launcher 4.2 during enrollment. I have another device, same model and OS, but am having issues installing Launcher. To my knowledge, the Launcher profile already includes the seed script to install the .apk when the profile is installed.

0 Kudos
AmaurySOBACO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

Any update ?
0 Kudos
ChrisChadwick
Contributor
Contributor

Still not working. There is a dent in the wall now where i'm hitting my head against it.

Can anyone confirm the latest version of Launcher? The newest I can choose is 4.3.0
0 Kudos
AmaurySOBACO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

for me, i have some news : on the device, on the detail page, you can see how the device was enrolled : Work Profile/Work Manage

you need to use Work manage enrolment (With afw#hub instead of gmail account)

then, Launcher will have full control on the device.

For me, now, all is ok ...
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Chris - 4.4 is available but has its own set of bugs. I am looking forward to 4.5 getting released for sure.   Beth
0 Kudos
JacquesPerrolle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chris C., I'm seeing this as well.  Frustratingly Launcher worked fine in our test environment for the PoC.  Naturally when we duplicate this in prod it doesn't work at all.  Best I can get is that it's trying to download the Launcher apps from.... ? another-dimension ?, it's taking forever, and once the progress bar gets to the end it just fails outright.  Tried the APK, the APK tells me I'm a dummy because it's already part of the install and could one be an On Demand app.  OK, but then when I try to download it through the app catalog, nothing ever happens.
0 Kudos
Oriol19
Contributor
Contributor

in my case this option appears in gray and does not allow me to modify

0 Kudos