VMware Workspace ONE Community
NickBaileyNickB
Contributor
Contributor

AirWatch LG Service continually fails on Android 9.0

We have a customer with an LG LM-G710VM. We have downloaded Hub and started enrollment. It prompts to install the LG Service on the device. She then gets a message that the service has stopped with the options for close or app info. App info gives her the option to uninstall. If we just hit close and continue on the app states that the Android version is too new. I see the App has not been updated since October of 2018. There is no option to skip the LG service install on the device so this user can't complete enrollment. Her device shows up in the console but no apps will install. Has anyone else run into this recently? If so, how did you get around it? Is AirWatch or VMWare going to update this app for newer versions of Android? The app store comments are never really good for security centered apps, but this one just looks like it is severely out of date and there are many comments stating that. 
Labels (1)
10 Replies
NickBaileyNickB
Contributor
Contributor

From AirWatch Support:

Hi Nick, We have a known issue in place for the problem you have reported above. From the device go to play store and download & install Hub Launch Hub and start enrolling the device During the enrollment Air-watch LG service app will get installed then it crashes and enrollment stuck VMware is working with LG to fix it. As a workaround, you can disable the Service Application by navigating to Groups & Settings > All Settings > Devices & Users > Android > Service Applications > Require Service App. and after the enrollment, you can enable it back. Note: Use the workaround in case only 1 or 2 devices are impacted as the settings corresponding to service application in the Console is for all the Android)Legacy) device enrollments.

This did help get our user enrolled.
0 Kudos
mpbrooks2007
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have an estimated time frame of when this will be resolved and we wont have to do the workaround?
0 Kudos
NickBaileyNickB
Contributor
Contributor

They did not give me any timeframe for when it would be fixed.

0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Still no fix?
0 Kudos
mpbrooks2007
Contributor
Contributor

The workaround does work. You just have to make sure to re-enable the setting once the LG phone is enrolled.
0 Kudos
MIBennett
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. Has anyone seen any updates on this or is this it for LG with Android 9.0 and up?
0 Kudos
JTrapp
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this request?
0 Kudos
MIBennett
Contributor
Contributor

Jeremy, I haven't seen any updates.  Are you applying the workaround as well?
0 Kudos
NickBaileyNickB
Contributor
Contributor

I have not received any updates on this yet. To my knowledge it's still a problem with LG devices. We have so few of these devices that I have not had any more reports of this problem and I do not have an LG device of my own to test with.
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since LG is the only OEM in my BYOD group that needs a service application anymore, I went ahead and turned off the requirement for service application just in that BYOD OG permanently. Over it... lol
0 Kudos