VMware Workspace ONE Community
smejia1
Contributor
Contributor

Adding iPad without DEP

We have vendors that are approved for DEP, but we have 8 iPads that were not purchased through those vendors, so they aren't in DEP.  Can I manually add those devices to Airwatch as a Corporate-Owned device and it will act just like a device added with DEP?  I want to be able to restrict the iPad like I can with DEP iPads

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@smejia1 - you can add iOS devices to your DEP account via a 30-day provisional process.  The video is old, but I don't think the process has changed much since then:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujem_mS_tLc

0 Kudos
EricMartinez
Contributor
Contributor

We had a simular problem. We ended up using Apple Configurator to get those device into a "Supervised" state and then enrolled them into WS1. Now those profiles that are specific to DEP are now enforced.

0 Kudos
rafaelluz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can add no problem, but if you add a non supervised device you will lose a lot of features specially restrictions.

I suggest you to use apple configurator to set up the device (it will require a complete wipe) then when you add the device you will have the features enabled. It won't be 100% close to DEP but close enough

0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As stated above, you can add them to DEP using Configurator, then they will be supervised and have all the DEP properties. After 30 days the DEP profile is no longer removable too. They will be like all the other DEP devices and require enrollment if erased.

See the post by 

PeterGkc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have 2 options. First is to add it DEP via Apple Configurator as some have stated. This will Supervise the device and add it to your "Apple Configurator" MDM server in ABM. Then you just log into ABM and assign it to an MDM server like you normally would. However as others stated, there is a 30 day period the user can remove the management from the device. There is no way around this. Your 2nd option is similar to the first but it is the choice I prefer. I created an OG in AirWatch called "Configurator Staging". I set up the Automated Enrollment for this OG as opposed to DEP. When you do that you can export the profile from AirWatch and create a "Server" in Apple Configurator using that Profile. So when you run through the "Prepare" process on Configurator you still join it to DEP but you assign it to the Server using the Profile you exported. This will join it to DEP and enroll it into AirWatch. Then you go into AirWatch and move it it where it needs to go. That being said you will still want to go into ABM and assign the device to whatever MDM server you want but this way you don't have to wipe the device again a 2nd time. Those are really your only 2 options.

0 Kudos