VMware Workspace ONE Community
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add a bookmark to the home screen for an android device enrolled in AfW/Android Enterprise

Anyone know how to use a profile to add a bookmark for a url to the home screen for an android device that is enrolled into AfW/Android Enterprise.

Normally we just use the standard bookmark profile and that has worked just fine. But any profile categorized as ' android'  are not applied to devices in AfW. Only profiles categorized as ' Android - Work'  are.

Labels (1)
47 Replies
DavidFink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

myairwatch/software has Agent 8.2 for Android and this now appears to be fixed.
0 Kudos
PeterAir
Contributor
Contributor

Craig: We are discussing AFW for sure... there is no web bookmark payload in AFW so far; you must use a custom payload.

David: Thanks for pointing out that 8.2 agent has been posted. I tested this on AFW - Work Managed device and indeed it works (using custom payload). Creates a pop-up for the user to either manually place the bookmark to the homescreen or allows them to drag and drop it to a place of their choice.

The bookmark shows a little AirWatch icon in the lower right corner, obviously indicating that this has been added/managed by AW.

Anyway, it still does not work with AFW - Work Profile mode... I'll update the support ticket.
0 Kudos
aitbouslam_y
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, could you help me for deploy a bookmark to android for work. I use this custom settings on S9.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
pmeuser
Contributor
Contributor

I see a link deployed as custom payload in work profile showing up in MDM Agent 8.2 on a S9+ with ' Bookmark - *Notification Action Pending' . After deployed a sub menu in agent opens with icon / link name, but there is no option to confirm. I can't believe, that such a basic feature would not be available in Android ' Enterprise'  / UEM 9.4. Let's see how others like MobileIron and Intune perform in this area.
0 Kudos
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Peter - for whatever reason, they have not been able to get this working on the S9.  They left this as a known issue with the release of the 8.2 agent.  It is beyond frustrating.  According to AW, is is a samsung api issue that they are working with them on.  Which is mind boggling considering this is AE and is supposed to be device agnostic.  
0 Kudos
pmeuser
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe this is one of the reasons, why Samsung is NOT in the list of Android Enterprise Recommended Devices?
https://androidenterprisepartners.withgoogle.com/?&_ga=2.86014936.1337780685.1529417196-2143984183.1...
0 Kudos
msweisberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That cracks me up considering Samsung controls something like 80-90% of the global Android marketshare.
0 Kudos
DavidFink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Michael and Peter - I thought I tested the S9 with Agent 8.2 but now that I think about it it might have been the Pixel 2. I will try on the S9 today and update this thread.
0 Kudos
pmeuser
Contributor
Contributor

David, the ongoing case between VMware and Samsung - as Michael has reported - was confirmed to me, too. Would be very helpful to see that this essential feature works with an ' Google recommended'  (lol) device. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
pmeuser
Contributor
Contributor

I have successfully tested the bookmark deployment as part of a work profile with AndroidONE ... (Nokia 7 Plus on Android 8.1). The bookmark has a AirWatch badge overlayed by a work badge. Because of the latter, it looks like a supported Android Enterprise feature. Samsung are you listening?
0 Kudos
JulienNAVARRO
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it seems xml custom profiles are OK :
Tested on AW 9.4 On Premise
- Samsung A320, Device Owner, Android 8.0 ==> OK (Airwatch overlay)
- Samsung A300, Work Profile, Android 6.0.1 ==> Agent says ' Not supported' , and does not work, needs further investigation (WP or Android version).

Just see what I've done :
[Code]

' <characteristic type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.bookmarks'  uuid=' XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX' >

<parm name=' IconId'  value=' XXXXX'  />

<parm name=' Label'  value=' Your Bookmark Label'  />

<parm name=' AddToHomescreen'  value=' True'  />

<parm name=' URL'  value=' awbs://your.site.your.domain/workwithairwatchbrowsertoo/cancontain{LookupValues}'  />

<parm name=' ShowInAppCatalog'  value=' True'  />

<parm name=' Icon'  value=' ###coded Icon Value###'  />

</characteristic>'

[/Code]

What I suggest is :
- Create a Legacy profile with the configuration you want (Add on desktop, Icon, etc...)
- Export as xml
- Change type=' com.airwatch.android.bookmarks'  to type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.bookmarks'  in your xml file
- Delete the Legacy profile (you do not want two profiles with the same UUID)
- Create a new with the same name and paste the xml in ' custom profile'
- Pray whatever divinity you want
- Praise my name 😉

You can do the same trick with WiFi profile that needs a proxy.pac file.

Note, the xml part is blocked by the forum... But I hope my explanation will be enough. 

0 Kudos
prithviprasadka
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys... any idea if this also woks with AW launcher 4.0 by white listing it. As i do not see 'bookmarks' in the AW launcher drop down. Any help would be really appreciated.
0 Kudos
prithviprasadka
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for an update team. If you have anything it would be really helpful for me.
0 Kudos
DavidFink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just update my test environment to 9.7, I'll update this post if I find anything useful.
0 Kudos
jerk_store
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it works on a launcher.  You just need to have the launcher for the characteristic type:
characteristic type=' com.airwatch.android.androidwork.bookmarks'   needs to be :  com.airwatch.android.androidwork.launcher
0 Kudos
Bencol96
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys,
This is actually just moved its under apps & books then web hit add application and select android you can apply icons etc it then creates a profile after this.
Thanks,
Ben

Edit:

Just notice this has already been posted but to just reinforce this be sure to click the advanced options area and enable add to home screen.

0 Kudos
DavidFink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ben, does this work both Android Legacy and Android Enterprise?
0 Kudos
Boe_K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey David if you click on the Advance section you will find a option to ' Add to Homescreen'  and when hover over the ! you will see it says ' The Add to Homescreen Option is only applicable to Android (Legacy) enrollments. So as it stands the only way to get this to work is thru a custom XML which is pretty frustrating since its been inconsistent in our testing.
0 Kudos
Olivaw10
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
My Solution:
Add Public App
Select Android - Find anything
When google Play Page is open, you can see on the Left menus Search Play Store, Private Apps and Web Apps.
You can use Web Apps to create WebClips on Google Play (xait 10 minutes to publish) and then assign to a SmartGroup.

It's working with Work Profile as well

0 Kudos
prithviprasadka
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Olivier,
Thank you for the sharing the details. Is it possible for your to share the screen shots of the Google Play stuff if you can please 🙂
0 Kudos