VMware Workspace ONE Community
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

9.1 to 9.4 or 9.5?

I'm looking into upgrading from 9.1 to either 9.4 or 9.5.  I'm seeking input from other on-prem users that have gone through this upgrade.  How straight forward was it?  Any gotchas?
Labels (1)
182 Replies
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Travis, did you experience any issue after upgrading from 9.1 to 9.5?
I'm planning my uprade from 9.1 to 9.6 starting in early September.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also note that EIS has been completely deprecated in 9.6 so you'll want to move to VMware Enterprise Connector before beginning the upgrade.
0 Kudos
ElizabethB
Contributor
Contributor

We've recently upgraded our test environment to 9.5.06. We are seeing some problems now with the compliance policies being applied to newly enrolled devices. The policies will continue to work on devices that had been enrolled before the upgrade, but don't appear to be working on devices that have been enrolled after the upgrade. If you create a policy after the device is enrolled it will work on the new device, but it will not pick up any of the polices that were out there before the device enrolls. We are not seeing email notifications or removal of profiles on the new devices that trip the compliance policies. We are on-prem and these are iOS devices.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Update:  We found that our firewall team had made some unannounced changes to our test environment that caused this problem.  Compliance emails are working in 9.5 for us.

0 Kudos
ChrisHuhnChrisH
Contributor
Contributor

I am applying 9.5 to our Test on-premise platform this morning.
@Elizabeth; Thanks for the hint to check Compliance policies.
I would like to echo/+1 John B.'s comment; Luke's comments and suggestions have been VERY HELPFUL for me. Thank you Luke.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to see so many of you are in the same boat as me upgrading from 9.1 to 9.5/9.6. And yes, Luke has been providing helpful tips since I started implementing and administring AirWatch. He's among the few who knows his stuff really well. I wonder why he's not working for VMware and speaking at VMWorld already? 🙂
0 Kudos
UiliamFoschiera
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all!
Just to contribute... We upgrade from 9.0 to 9.5, and we had the misfortune of some android devices (around 100) just ' unenroll'  without notice...the console not shows ' break mdm request'  but the agent on these devices simply presented not enrolled. To make our experience more bad, some features (such as File Manager, SMS Service, GEM Inventory, add public iOS applications) crashed. : (
We have some tickets with AirWatch Support and, if we have success to solve this issue, I post the result.
Best regards.
0 Kudos
ChrisHuhnChrisH
Contributor
Contributor

We did not see the 'Android unenroll' adventure.
We did not see any Services issues either.
0 Kudos
VegardAarseth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About to start the upgrades. From 9.2.3 to 9.5 at least. I'll start with the 9.3 and then go to 9.4 and 9.5. I'm assuming I can just jump to 9.7 after I've installed 9.5 ?
0 Kudos
ChrisHuhnChrisH
Contributor
Contributor

9.5 has an ESC component to apply.
9.6 has an SQL component, as does the 9.6.0.5 patch.
I would step through 9.6 on the way to 9.7, I would not skip it.
0 Kudos
VegardAarseth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris.
Do you install the patches too? I've always just patched the version I've upgraded to.  Not the patches for each version in between.

0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

You don't need to install the application servers in a step fashion. The SQL dB has to be done in a certain order, it cannot be jumped through. Once you get the dB to 9.3 you can install 9.6 without stepping through. The SQL installer will tell you the minimum dB level need to update from. 9.6 wants a minimum of a 9.3 dB. Me being used to stepping through, I applied each dB version until I hit 9.6.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Luke, so you don't trust AirWatch enough on the DB installer to jump from 9.3 to 9.6? 🙂
And did you say you are still staying with SEG classic instead of v2?
0 Kudos
DavidJohnsonDav
Contributor
Contributor

We are just at 9.1. Now that 9.7 is out, so you suggest we continue to do the DB for each version?
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't plan on doing step DB upgrade after 9.3.
Did you receive confirmation that 9.7 is released for on-premises customer?
0 Kudos
DavidJohnsonDav
Contributor
Contributor

I get no notifications at all, which is a problem.
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Subscribe to the product announcement and you will be notified once it's released.
I hope the installer already comes with the patch to support new devices to be announced by Apple today.
0 Kudos
ChrisHuhnChrisH
Contributor
Contributor

Vegard A  >> Do you install the patches too
I install the Patch on the latest one I apply, not the intermediate steps.  I started at 9.2, through 93 94 94 95 96 and stopped at 9605
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

You only need to upgrade your dB in steps as the installer prescribes. The Application servers do not need to be stepped through. As far as patches go, I generally don't apply them unless an issue I am having is resolved by said patch.
0 Kudos
HERNDONBRENT
Contributor
Contributor

We are currently on 9.2.0.412 and are looking to go to 9.7.  I was wondering a couple things: Can we just upgrade straight to 9.7 or do we have to go to 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6 and then 9.7?  Also, does anyone know where I can get my hands on the latest update installation document/instructions?
0 Kudos
ThomasCheng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would love to go to 9.7 too but not sure when it will be released.
You need to upgrade your database from 9.2. to 9.3. Then you can jump to 9.6 or 9.7. Then upgrade your application servers from 9.2 to 9.6/9.7 directly.
0 Kudos