VMware Workspace ONE Community
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

9.1 to 9.4 or 9.5?

I'm looking into upgrading from 9.1 to either 9.4 or 9.5.  I'm seeking input from other on-prem users that have gone through this upgrade.  How straight forward was it?  Any gotchas?
Labels (1)
182 Replies
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

The biggest thing you'll have to do is apply the database install for each version in between beforehand. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward.
0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor

We have 9.1 aswell, I have been wondering on this too. I don't want to mess with a working version if its going to be a huge hassle.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

The thing with MDM technology is you don't want to fall too far behind, the tech moves too fast and you'll be in the dust not supporting anything pretty quick. 9.1 is pretty far behind at this point.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is 9.5 fairly stable?  I saw there's a 9.5.0.4 patch out.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Haven't heard too many issues, if any. 9.6 is in the test servers now. I'd consider upgrading for the latest Android Enterprise support, iOS 12 support coming up and the Office 365 DLP support.

9.1 is EOL this year as well:

https://support.workspaceone.com/articles/115001654148
0 Kudos
KEVINSCHELLINGE
Contributor
Contributor

So is it best to do 9.5 or wait for 9.6?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

9.5 is a good jump at this point. 9.6 isn't going to be much different.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone know where the install guide is for 9.5?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

You can pretty much follow the 9.3 guide here:  https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-AirWatch/
I don't see any updated doc's. The general process should be the same. It hasn't changed much over the years.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

The other thing about 9.3 and later is the omission of certain installers from the console. LIke the content gateway used to be downloaded from the console, but now is obtained through this site. And reporting has been deprecated. The SSRS installer is now stuck at 9.2 and the ETL intelligence service has replaced it. SEG V2 is also moved from the console I believe as well.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've found the DB upgrade up to 9.3.  Anyone know where I can find the 9.4 DB upgrade?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Download the full install pack and use the DB installer inside.
0 Kudos
antherITguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got it.  Thanks.
Anyone know if the ENS upgrade is included in the 9.5 Full Install or if that has to be performed separately?
0 Kudos
UNKNOWNShijiewa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Luke, The iOS 12 may be release in this year. Are you mean the 9.6 version is better to support this iOS version? what's the time of 9.6 version release, before iOS 12 or later?
0 Kudos
JustinGrazulis
Contributor
Contributor

I just performed an upgrade from 9.0 to 9.5. All went pretty well except once the update was finished, random Windows desktop devices were rebooting without warning. Luckily, we didn't have anyone complaining that they lost data or that it occurred mid presentation. I can see this turning into a pretty big gotcha if it happens to the wrong person at the wrong time.

Log Name:      System
Source:        USER32
Date:          7/19/2018 3:13:36 PM
Event ID:      1074
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      ###removed###
Description:
The process msiexec.exe has initiated the restart of computer ###removed### on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY or SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x80030002
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment: The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'AirWatch Agent'.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like you have Protection Agent Automatic Updates turned on in all settings>devices and users>windows>windows desktop seems abrupt to reboot the machine without warning after auto updating the Agent though, not sure if Agent updates can be pushed normally you may want to ticket AirWatch about why the auto updater is silently rebooting
0 Kudos
ChrisHuhnChrisH
Contributor
Contributor

We are at On-Premise 9.2, planning to step through 9.3, 9.4, and 9.5 on the Database this weekend.
Is there a good method to validate the DB Upgrades BEFORE starting the EXE upgrade on DS and Console?
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

I test Db upgrades by restoring the DB to another SQL server and then running the db upgrades from 9.2 through 9.5 and verify no issues. You can then validate the DB version when done and weed out any possible issues.
0 Kudos