VMware Workspace ONE Community
JohnMooreJohnMo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1810 to 1902

Hello,
We are currently on 1810 and want to update our software. 
We are unable to find the 1811 installer but were able to download 1902
In the past we know that large version changes like 7.1 to 7.2 needed to be sequentially.  Small ones like 7.1.1 to 7.1.4 don't need to be done sequentially.
With this new format they have to updates can we jump from 1810 to 1902 directly?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DamienCole
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare now state you can go from any older version to the latest version without any issues. They have also change the numbering of updates and no longer wait for big quarterly updates. The new numbering is 'YearMonth'. If you are running 1810 the next available version is 1902.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DamienCole
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare now state you can go from any older version to the latest version without any issues. They have also change the numbering of updates and no longer wait for big quarterly updates. The new numbering is 'YearMonth'. If you are running 1810 the next available version is 1902.

0 Kudos
JohnMooreJohnMo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what we suspected.
Just wanted to be better safe than sorry.
Thanks
0 Kudos
StephaneFOUCHER
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

You should be fine to update from 1810 to 1902. The old update path was mainly due to changes performed within the Db. I think since 9.5 it's no longer require to perform all major updrades, can find documentation about this. Anyway, 1810 to 1910 is not that big of a change. Starting with 1810 versioning as changed to match that of year and month of  the release.
i'm trying to find the article about the change in the upgrade path.
Don't worry too much
0 Kudos
PatriciaGoncalv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Currently I will upgrade a client from version 8.4 to 9.3 going through each version.
I needed to open ticket in VMware due to not finding the installation packages and informed that before installing to 1902 install to 1811 and later to 1902
0 Kudos
DamienCole
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We were running SaaS Cloud 9.1 and we upgraded straight to 9.7 without the need to install incremental versions. We are presently planning to go from 9.7 to 1902.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Simplest way to know about the DB upgrade is to start the installer and it will tell you the minimum db version you need to be at before installation.
0 Kudos
DaleAlderton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried to upgrade from 9.6 to 1902 on my QA instance but I keep getting this error: Failed to Protect TunnelDB connectionString in ....Airwatch 1902 or Services or Tunnel or appsettings.json
Doesn't look like this Tunnel folder under Services was there in 9.6. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
RichB2u2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The 1902 Upgrade Guide requirements could be updated (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1902/UEM_Upgrade/GUID-AWT-BYB-UPGRADETASKS.html). It talks about getting installers with Feature Packs like 9.4 x but that is the old convention. It doesn't say what is the minimum version required before installing 1902. By running the database installer on my 9.7 on-premise system it doesn't report anything missing.

The Upgrade checklist (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workspace-ONE-UEM/1902/UEM_Upgrade/GUID-AWT-UPGRADECHECKLIST.html) says to run the Reports installer but that no longer exists in 1902!
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dale: I had this error as well. Turned out the permissions on the directroy for my install did not include the user I was installing as. Very odd indeed as it only happened on one of 4 servers I was working on. Check the directory permissions for your installation and add the user you are logged in as explicitly. It is trying to encrypt the JDBC line in the file and doesn't have the rights to do so.

0 Kudos
JuniorMenezes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dale: I had this error as well ' Failed to Protect TunnelDB connectionString in' . If you are in Windows Server 2008 or 2012 install this update Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
0 Kudos
DaleAlderton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Luke: This makes sense. I did check the folders but the permissions seemed correct. Thanks for your input.
Junior: Thanks very much, this worked for me. The UAT environment is still on Windows 2012 R2 so the update sorted out the problem. Thanks again
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The worst part to me about that error was the “rollback” the installer did. Completely blew up everything.
0 Kudos
DaleAlderton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Absolutely! I had to restart the installation about 10 times with various testing
0 Kudos
anonymousmigrat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We just did 9.6 to 1903 and yes the rollback was terrible.  I forgot that our DS goes through a VIP and i kept putting in the sql server FQDN but it didnt work. What a nightmare.  Thank Buddha for this post!!
0 Kudos
SergiodeJessGon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here

0 Kudos