VMware Cloud Community
jeffatencio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how do i install Windows Server 2016 on a brand new VM?

Im trying to install on a blank VM. I have the bootable usb with the os plugged into it but cant boot off or install. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeffatencio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had to disable the VBS to get it to work. Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

just a quick question. Don't you have the original ISO installation image? Attaching the ISO to the VM as a virtual CD is the usually, and probably easiest way to install a guest operating system.

André

0 Kudos
jeffatencio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes its an ISO file on a bootable flash drive. Ive used it on actual servers before but never a VM.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The VM CD drive needs to boot from the ISO file on the flash drive, not boot from the flash drive itself.

ESXi will need to mount the flash drive as a datastore before you can set the VM CD drive to do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

I agree with the previous answers. You cannot do it also because the USB drive does not appear in the list in the Bios Boot of the virtual machine.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
jeffatencio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you mount it as a datastore on ESXi? I have the ISO file chosen under CD Drive 1 but cant boot off of it

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well

1. Mark the CDROM as connect at boot within the VM settings

2. Be sure that the ISO it self is bootable and a complete one

3. You have to toogle the boot order in the VM BIOS if there is something already on the vDISK (not very likely if you have created a fresh and virgin VM)

To 99.9% i forget to mark the box for CDROM connected countless times in the last 12 years.  A windows ISO is more than 3GB in size and often the download from the internet gets corrupted so bei sure that you check the md5/sha1 checksum.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
jeffatencio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had to disable the VBS to get it to work. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion