VMware Cloud Community
Clacotera3
Contributor
Contributor

converting MBR to GPT

Ok i have a 2019 server and accidently created a third drive as MBR instead of GPT and i just notice this when a request came in to extend drive. The drive is presently at 1.7 TB (aware that an MBR can not extended pass 2 TB). So how can i convert this drive from MBR to GPT without losing Data.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

AFAIK there's no officially supported way to convert an MBR partition to GPT without data loss. Some 3rd party tool claim that they can do this.

Depending on the data on that disk, I'd actually consider to create an additional virtual disk, and copy the data over to it. Once done, remove the MBR disk, and assign the original drive letter to the newly created GPT disk/partition.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Moderator: Discussion moved to Windows Discussions

0 Kudos
PePierias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Done this from recovery console on Windows 10, using mbr2gpt, without reformatting the partition and without losing data. Problem is that it handles conversion of boot drives only...

On another occasion I stumbled upon a utility that does the trick but I do not recall which one it was. Might be Minitool Partition Wizard, not sure. Most of these tools do what you ask, but not their free versions. If I remember, I'll drop a line.

EDIT: Try this: https://www.diskpart.com/articles/free-mbr-to-gpt-converter-7201.html
0 Kudos