solsrv
Contributor
Contributor

Windows upgrade stops abruptly. Why?

Hi,  I am a newbie to VMware.  However, I am a very experienced computer professional.  I have a VMware Virtual Machine Windows 2008 R2 that I am trying to do an in place upgrade to Windows 2012.  I want to go to Windows server 2016 eventually.  I run the setup program.  I click the install button.  The procedure tells me "setup is coping temporary files" .  I see "setup is starting" and then the process stops abruptly and returns to the first screen with the install button.  This windows server is a member of an active directory.    I created a plain Windows 2008 R2 server in the same VMWare environment and was able to upgrade that server with no problems.  I could really use some assistance with this problem.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

here vmware has nothing to do. Updating a domain controller is not like updating a simple installation of Windows Server 2008. I found myself a few weeks ago with the same type of work, updating Domain Contreoller 2008R2 to Windows Server 2016. Since direct updating is not possible, and it is necessary to move to 2012 and then 2016, I preferred to create a new Server 2016, put it in the domain, install the ADDS Domain Controller role and transfer the fsmo roles, schema master, ecc... from 2008 to 20016. When Qualdo il DC 2016  was ready, I demoted Server 2008 and I turned it off.

Your problem is not due to VMware technology, but in my opinion you should open a ticket in Microsoft, or do as I did.

-----------------

If you are interested, there is this video tutorial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6x7aBIarVWs

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Virtual Machine, Guest OS & VM Tools > Windows

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos