VMware Cloud Community
WheatonCollege
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Update service will not stay Disabled in Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

Hi All,

Trying to get my Windows 10 parent image prepared for a linked-clone composer pool and every time I disable the Windows Update service it eventually gets set back to Manual starts up.

I've tried setting a Group Policy to set it to disabled in the linked-clones but it still somehow changes there too.

I saw this entry in the System event viewer log

"The start type of the Windows Update service was changed from disabled to demand start"

Within about a minute of that I also see these entries about other services being changed

"The start type of the Connected User Experience and Telemetry service was changed from disabled to auto start"

"The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start"

I've disabled the services and scheduled tasks recommended in the VMware Optimization tool but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please review the Disable Windows Update section of the "Setting up Virtual Desktops in Horizon 7 and see if this helps out on the issue. https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.3/horizon-virtual-desktops/GUID-D7921206-FCA5-41FA-9AF...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
WheatonCollege
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Parmarr,

It ended up being a KB hot fix that was causing the issue. I ended up uninstalling KB4023057 (which appears in the list of installed programs, not the list of updates) and that fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
WheatonCollege
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB? If so, removing that KB fix mentioned above and disabling the service did the trick for me.

0 Kudos