VMware Cloud Community
ajithkt22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 2012 license on ESXi 6.5

In a Windows 2012 standard license we can have only 2 VMs; so in one ESXi server(of any sockets) we can host a maximum of 2 VMs; so in my environment we have 3 esxi hosts in a cluster with each running 2 VMs.

so please let me know how much Windows standard/Datacenter license should I procure.

As per my understanding; i will require 3 datacenter licenses.

We cannot have 3 standard windows license because we can have only 2 VMs per host (3 servers); this is OK in ideal case scenario.

But if we need to move one VM from one ESXi host to another i.e

ESXi 1 having 1 VMs

ESXi 2 having 3 VMs ---> violation of licensing

ESXi 3 having 2 VMs

then it will be a violation of the licensing policies.

Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Licensing is difficult, so you may want to double-check with the vendor to be on safe!

Here's how I understand Windows 2012 licensing.

In a Windows 2012 standard license we can have only 2 VMs; so in one ESXi server(of any sockets) we can host a maximum of 2 VMs;

That's not quite correct, the a Windows 2012 Standard edition license only covers 2 sockets.

Let's assume you have tree 2 socket hosts, and 6 VMs which can be migrated (up to 6 VM's on a single host).

In this case you either need to have a 2 socket Datactenter license for each host, or do peak licensing with the Standard edition, i.e. have 3 Standard Editions for each host.

André

View solution in original post

1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Licensing is difficult, so you may want to double-check with the vendor to be on safe!

Here's how I understand Windows 2012 licensing.

In a Windows 2012 standard license we can have only 2 VMs; so in one ESXi server(of any sockets) we can host a maximum of 2 VMs;

That's not quite correct, the a Windows 2012 Standard edition license only covers 2 sockets.

Let's assume you have tree 2 socket hosts, and 6 VMs which can be migrated (up to 6 VM's on a single host).

In this case you either need to have a 2 socket Datactenter license for each host, or do peak licensing with the Standard edition, i.e. have 3 Standard Editions for each host.

André