Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 - Unable to manage windows update

Hi, i have a windows 10, that i use for as my golden image for my VDI pools.

Out of nowhere, i can not control Windows update anymore. Even if i am logged on as local administrator.

It says: "some settings are managed by your organization"

I find that pretty weird, since the godlen image is NOT a member of domain( i have tried to add it to domain and remove it again, with no luck, and then Revert to last snapshot).

I do not have any local policyes running for this client.

Why am I unable to managed windows update?

Anyone seen the same?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue. Anyone find a solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may have figured the problem out this morning. There are some setting that I forgot the VMware OS Optimization Tool tweaks to disable Windows updates which I've temporarily changed back. I'm not sure if all three of these are necessary but I did them all just in case, then I reboot and afterward found that I could check for updates.

1. Enable the Windows Update service (set to automatic)

2. Delete registry item SetDisableUXWUAccess (HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate/)

3. Make sure local group policy item Remove access to use all Windows Update features is either Not Configured or Disabled (Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update/)

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, this worked for me too.

I did have to wait a few minutes after the reboot though before I could check for updates

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Expert
Expert

It is pity I could not find this helpful.

I have installed Windows update.

Ran this script

Then install office 2019 and now I want to check updates for Office. Cannot do anything

Below did not help.

Strongly recommend to de-select WIndows Update button. It can save hours of your work

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos