VMware Cloud Community
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10 - Unable to manage windows update

Hi, i have a windows 10, that i use for as my golden image for my VDI pools.

Out of nowhere, i can not control Windows update anymore. Even if i am logged on as local administrator.

It says: "some settings are managed by your organization"

I find that pretty weird, since the godlen image is NOT a member of domain( i have tried to add it to domain and remove it again, with no luck, and then Revert to last snapshot).

I do not have any local policyes running for this client.

Why am I unable to managed windows update?

Anyone seen the same?

Best regards
Lansti
8 Replies
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue. Anyone find a solution?

0 Kudos
himcrucified
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may have figured the problem out this morning. There are some setting that I forgot the VMware OS Optimization Tool tweaks to disable Windows updates which I've temporarily changed back. I'm not sure if all three of these are necessary but I did them all just in case, then I reboot and afterward found that I could check for updates.

1. Enable the Windows Update service (set to automatic)

2. Delete registry item SetDisableUXWUAccess (HKLM/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate/)

3. Make sure local group policy item Remove access to use all Windows Update features is either Not Configured or Disabled (Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update/)

SimonPetrikov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, this worked for me too.

I did have to wait a few minutes after the reboot though before I could check for updates

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

It is pity I could not find this helpful.

I have installed Windows update.

Ran this script

Then install office 2019 and now I want to check updates for Office. Cannot do anything

Below did not help.

Strongly recommend to de-select WIndows Update button. It can save hours of your work

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
bmurray2
Contributor
Contributor

I did not delete the reference registry key, but I did delete the String Value that said PauseUpdatesStartTime (today's date) and was able to successfully update my image.

0 Kudos
Roman78b
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the settings, but i still cannot install updates. After opening the Windows Update option in the Settings i get the message: "Something went Wrong. Try to reopen Settings later". What did i missed?

0 Kudos
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In addition to the registry change, make sure both the Windows Update -AND- Update Orchestrator Service are set to start either manually or automatically. 

0 Kudos
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The information in the blog linked below worked for me. I converted it into a PowerShell script. It is a text file you can convert to .ps1 or just past into ISE. 

You can also just run the individual lines if you don't want to or know how to run the script.  

https://virtuallyunboxed.wordpress.com/2019/11/14/windows-updates-and-osot/

0 Kudos