twhitex
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 11.5.1 Win XP Guest using IE8 can only access Google

Hi,

VMware Fusion 11.5.1

Host:     MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Guest:   Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ IE8

I've been running this configuration for over 2 years with no apparent issues. I use Avira AntiVirus and Little Snitch 4.4.3 network filter on the host, with no firewall or other network restrictions on the guest. I recently tried to use Internet Explorer on the guest and, through trial and error, came to the conclusion that IE can access www.google.com (error-free), and also a few other sub-domains e.g. books.google.com (with varying certificate errors), but no other Internet sites.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Were you able to resolve it and, if so, how?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

most websites are not compatible with IE8 because it has many security problems. This is why you see various certificate errors.

try this Microsoft alternative solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/968089/you-cannot-view-a-secure-web-site-in-internet-explor...

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Guest specific issue so moved to the Windows area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
twhitex
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for replying. It doesn't appear to be compatibility-related. Following the various Microsoft solutions at that link made no difference. Running Network Diagnostics from within IE8 yields:

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.51.17 PM.png

As stated earlier, the guest has no firewall. The host has unrestricted Internet access.

0 Kudos