VMware Cloud Community
arbelac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare 6.7.0 - multiple VLANs configuration for GuestOS

Hi,

I have a IBM server that I've installed ESXi 6.7.0 on. I have been deploying VM from template. This virtual machine is Windows Server 2016 with 6 interfaces acting for specific networks. Network Adapter 1 : VLAN20 , Network Adapter 2 :VLAN30 , Network Adapter 3 :VLAN40 , Network Adapter 4: VLAN50 ,Network Adapter 5 :VLAN60 and so on.

They both need individual IP addresses so other VM machines could access them on same ESX machine.

My environment :

They are set for different virtual networks under the same switch. (vSwitch0) Standard Switch

Virtual Networks:

VLAN20 , VLAN30 , VLAN40 , VLAN50 , VLAN60 , VLAN70 , VLAN80

My question is :  I need static route for each network on Guest OS with multiple NICs? the moral of the story , I have 4 VMs like below. I am using L3 switch.

Do I have to define static route for each network on VM A with multiple NICs? So like you said , I want the NICs that are on different VLANs to talk to one another.

e.g static route :

route add 172.100.10.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 172.100.10.254

VM A : (3 NIC inside Guest OS)

1 NIC : 10.100.100.10 2 NIC : 172.100.10.103 NIC : 192.168.100.10

VM B : only 1 NIC

VM C : only 1 NIC

VM D : only 1 NIC

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My question is :  I need static route for each network on Guest OS with multiple NICs? the moral of the story , I have 4 VMs like below. I am using L3 switch.

Do I have to define static route for each network on VM A with multiple NICs? So like you said , I want the NICs that are on different VLANs to talk to one another.

You should not need static routes if the communication occurs over L2 for each of those NICs. If VM A with vNIC A is configured for VLAN 20 which is 10.0.0.10/24 and VM B with vNIC B is on the same segment at 10.0.0.11/24, then they should be able to talk by virtue of each vNIC existing on that segment. You can verify the routing table with the route print command.

Aside from this, your question is not related to any VMware technology, so any further "issues" and you should direct them elsewhere for general network troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should not need static routes if the communication occurs over L2 for each of those NICs. If VM A with vNIC A is configured for VLAN 20 which is 10.0.0.10/24 and VM B with vNIC B is on the same segment at 10.0.0.11/24, then they should be able to talk by virtue of each vNIC existing on that segment. You can verify the routing table with the route print command.

Aside from this, your question is not related to any VMware technology, so any further "issues" and you should direct them elsewhere for general network troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos