VMware Cloud Community
richard_64
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10

So,

I have a VM running windows 7 with various programmes installed.

I've created a new VM with windows 10.

I need to transfer the programmes from the Windows 7 VM to the Windows 10 VM.

(I don't have the install files for some of the programmes).

How can I do this, if at all?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Without the different software vendors' installation files, your likely at a loss. Most applications do not require executable files, but also require configuration settings, registering dll's, write registry entries, ... which is done during the installation. That's not specific to virtual machines, but the same on physical systems.

What you may try - unless already done - is to do an inplace upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Just make sure that you backup, or clone the Windows 7 VM prior to starting the upgrade, so that the original system will not be touched.

André

0 Kudos
richard_64
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre,

That was my first thought.

I duplicated the Windows 7 VM, so at least I had the original to fall back on.

However, I couldn't find out how to upgrade this to windows 10.

It's probably very simple, but I can't see how you do it.

The windows 10 is on an iso file.

Richard.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't do this myself yet, but from what I understand from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 you can use the downloaded ISO for either a fresh installation by booting from it, or for an in-place upgrade by unzipping the ISO file (using e.g. 7zip), and running setup.exe.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area since this is nothing to do with any VMware product.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos