VMware Cloud Community
finsfree
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading Windows Server 2016 to 2019 in vCenter 6.7

In the future I'll need to upgrade all my server 2016 to server 2019. What would be the best way to go about doing this? Either I would do an in-place upgrade or backup the data create a new VM w/ server 2019 and then add the data back to it?

How are are the "pros" achieving this?

I have a vSphere 6,7 environment (hosts. vcenter)

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Many here would say you should migrate to the vCenter Server Appliance at the next opportunity, now that running vCenter Server on Windows is deprecated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Is your vCenter running on a Windows VM?
If that's the case I would recommend migrating to VCSA.

Else I think that the question does not apply to this community. (IMHO I would say create new VM's and migrate services whenever possible :smileysilly:)

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
finsfree
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think people are getting confused by the questions.

I have 3 hosts running ESXI 6.7 (Type 1 hypervisor) on 3 Dell poweredge R740. I also installed the VCSA.

I don't need to upgrade vCenter. Forget about vCenter. I'm talking about the VM's itself. I have about 30 VM's.

What is the best way to upgrade the VM's OS from Server 2016 to Server 2019? I guess this is more of a Microsoft question.

I want to upgrade a Windows server 2016 virtual machine to a Windows server 2019 virtual machine. Should I do an in-place upgrade or create a whole new VM?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is absolutely a Microsoft question.

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine

This is a microsoft question.
From a vSphere perspective (at a higher level) it does not matter if you have W2016, W2019 or W10 as long as you have compatible vHadware and VMware tools updated. The virtual machine is an abstraction of the Phyisical Server. A Dell or HP server doesn't care if you have Windows 2016 or 2019.

As a recommendation: use VMXNET3 NICs and VMware paravirtual controllers.

regarding your quesiton:
I prefer creating new servers and migrating the services. This approach is not always possible.

Hope that works

0 Kudos