VMware Cloud Community
ars322
Contributor
Contributor

USB in win98

Hi, guys!

I got a problem: I can't to get a way to any usb-drives or any "Shared folders" in my VM. I've tried that, yeah...

Do you have some ideas how to connect some flash-card or a folder from original system to put in some files? I'll be happy to any ideas!

Oh, and I get this mesage: "A USB device is about to be unplugged from the host and connected to this virtual machine. It will first be stopped to enable safe removal. With some devices, the host may display the message "The device can now safely be removed."

And little bit before, this one:"The device '@name' was unable to connect to its ideal host controller. An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device."

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Shared folders do not work in Windows 98 guests.

IIRC, USB storage was only supported starting with Windows 98 Second Edition; but even that would likely be hit or miss.

Other avenues to get files into the Windows 98 system:

Assuming VMware Tools is installed, use "drag-and-drop" from the host

Create a ISO file of the folders/files in the host and mount the ISO as a virtual CD for the Windows 98 VM

Create another virtual hard disk in another VM that you can easily transfer the files to and then attach the VMDK to the Windows 98 VM. This is akin to plugging a hard disk back and forth between two different machines. This virtual hard disk should be created with an IDE hard disk as that is likely what Windows 98 VM would best with.

To get files out of the Windows 98 system:

The virtual hard disk method works the other way around.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Just to add one more point:

If you are using Workstation Pro (not Player), you should be to use the "Map Virtual Disk" feature to get files in/out of the Windows 98 VM virtual hard disk without having to do the complicated steps having another VM to create another virtual hard disk as the intermediary medium.

0 Kudos