VMware Cloud Community
joycelee
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes VMware tool service is not running on Windows 2012 R2 guest VM on ESXi6.0

Hi, all:

I encounter this issue:

Sometimes VMware tool service is not running on W2K12R2 guest VM.

If I restart the VM, the VMware tool service can run normally.

I deployed 144 VMs but only a few numbers of VMs encounter this issue.

Other VM's service works normally.

Is there any reason that W2K12R2 guest cannot run VMware tool service normally?

Is the VMware tool need to be up-to-date?

Thanks for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jengl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey joycelee,

I ha‌ve the same problem with the VMware-Tools 10 (tried 10.0.0 and 10.0.8) under Windows on ESXi 5.5. It seems the service hangs after sometimes, but shows as running inside Windows. When you try to restart/stop it, it runs into an timeout.

I have opened a ticket with the support and they told me that this is a known issue of VMware Tools 10 on Windows. But it will only be fixed in 10.1. which is scheduled for release at the end of the year.

In the meantime they told me to use the 9er version of the tools.

I find this very disappointing, because we normally use the auto-upgrade feature of the tools. Also there is no KB article for this (at least I didnt found one...).

Anybody else with this problem and maybe a workaround other than using version 9?

Regards,

jengl

0 Kudos
mvjohansen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

It is the exactly same workaround I have found. I to have opened an support case on this issue, so maybe they will provide a patch a little faster than the end of the year.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
jengl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems the KB article is now available for this problem:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21452...

It says ESXi 6.0 Patch 02 (ESXi600-201505001) but we have the same problem in 5.5 Update 2B.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon!

0 Kudos
harshhn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

This particular issue is expected to fix in upcoming version of VMware tools that is 10.0.9.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jengl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok great, thats a new information.

Do you have a release date for us?

E:

10.0.9 is now out and it should fix the bug if the release notes are correct:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21452...

VMware Tools 10.0.9 Release Notes

0 Kudos