VMware Cloud Community
Dogdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Software developer needs to convert files from VMware virtual drive back to dos level able to be seen from command prompt.

I am a developer with a legacy program running from dos under Windows for managing veterinary clinics.  One user needed a new machine so he hired another hardware seller/software guy and he convert users file data to VMware to make it run on a win 7 /64 bit computer. That guy is no longer available to help me or the user.  I need to get files where I can see from a normal windows command prompt dir command to be able to copy to thumb drive to be able to edit the ASCII records and files.  I can see files while under VMware virtual drive but can't find from Windows Explorer or get to them from the Windows command prompt except when under VMware virtual drive. I need help understanding how to access files or Convert back to normal windows dos file convention. It was on a win 7 computer 64 bit,  so naturally the old dos 16 bit programs won't work. The former guy has a dos 6.22 directory and I guess uses that in a virtual dos machine. I'm trying to move data over to a win 7 computer 32 bit where the software will run from the normal win command prompt. Are the VMware virtual drive files hidden? How do I unlike or find them? Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dogdoc
Contributor
Contributor

‌Just a bump. Haven't heard from any of you guys that know how to do this. How to copy from a Vmware virtual dirive back to the C: Windows drive under a normal (non virtual) folder. How do I do this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

a few questions to make sure I understand this correctly.

• Which VMware product and version are you using to run the VM?
  • You are currently running the software in a virtual machine with MS DOS 6.22?
  • Does the VM have network access?
  • How much data (in MB/GB) do you need from the VM?
  • Please provide a list of files from the VM's foder on the host system, i.e. the output of dir *.*

André

0 Kudos