VMware Cloud Community
ILT5000
Contributor
Contributor

Reset the password of a VM in vSphere Client 6.5.0 (Web)

Hello,

is it possible to reset the local administrator password of a VM by the vSphere Client?

(The VM is cloned from an image.)

10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Clone it again and apply a guest customisation?

I can‘t think of anything else in vSphere which would do that, your other options would all be native to the guest OS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Your duplicate thread will be locked and archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
ILT5000
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

i think i don't really linguistically understand what you mean by that.

The VM was already configured and a few programs were installed and configured.

I found this: How to Reset Lost Windows Password of Virtual Machine in VMware ESXi / vSphere | Password Recovery

I don't know if i can do it with the web version. I'm not really experienced with VM Ware in general.

Another question would be:

Did you ever heard of it that a VM gets broken that the password doesn't work anymore?

I removed the VM from the AD and wanted to reintegrate it because of wrong settings. Now the password isn't working. I don't know if my kolleague doesn't remember the right password or if it's possible that the VM is broken in specific parts.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

This is no different than a physical machine at this point, there is nothing VMware related here. Your options are to clone it again from a template, if that's not possible I'm not sure you'll get another  answer.the steps you're requesting are working around the local guest os permissions. ESXi just provides the hardware and has very little to do with the guest os its self.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

VM Local account password reset

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
ILT5000
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answers. I added a 2 question to my first answer.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Processes which involve the VM console and a ”recovery” CD or ISO image can be followed using any of the standard clients for vSphere.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest OS area.

0 Kudos
ILT5000
Contributor
Contributor

Sounded good. I don't know why but when i press the "ease of access" button, the command prompt doesn't appear and i think there is no possibillity to enter the "Windows + U" command into the VMWare Remote Console at the logon screen?! (Maybe it works for windows clients and servers in general but sadly not with VMWare?!)

Nothing appears if i press the button. Tried it 2 times as described in the tutorial. What i noticed is that the windows installation seems to be on disk "e:". Shouldn't be a problem but that's the first of hundreds and usually we all use the same vm for cloning.

By the way, i reset the vm by Veeam and it seems that my colleague doesn't remember the right password. :smileyangry:
Problem here, the AD trust level is lost. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Is it possible that you have restored a VM from veeam having the other VM available?

0 Kudos