VMware Cloud Community
mjdaran
Contributor
Contributor

, Network Adapter 1 is empty while creating VM

Hello, Im a total ROOKIE when it comes to VM creations! This is what I do, I install esxi 6.5 on my servers and create a W2016 VM, everytime I do that the "Network Adapter" is filled with "VM Network" by default. All I do is I enter the mac address below. The I install and everything was fine. 

This time, I installed vSphere 6.5 [client for esxi, right?]. And I followed the same process in creating the VM but unfortunately, i couldnt find anything listed in the "Network Adapter". There is no drop down, its just empty

Then I create a new Network group by the name "VM Network" and enter nothing [leave everything as it is]. Now  I can see VM Network listed in the Network Adapter. And then I installed and configured W. But there is no internet connectivity in the server at all. I couldnt even ping. 

So, I have come to the point that the "Network Adapter" is messed up [I did that]. I might have missed something. When I install esxi 6.5 directly there isnt any issues at all. I should have missed something. I have no idea whatsoever. Please give any suggestions or ideas to fi x this issue. 

Thanks

2 Replies
Nosegear
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here on ESXi 7.0 U2. No chance to add a new network adapter to the VM! No clue found yet what causes this & how to fix . . I can [Edit] the VM, on the [Virtual Hardware] tab select 'Add network adapter'. A 'New network adapter' appears with an empty dropdown and a MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:00. The only thing I can change is the tick 'Connect at power on'. After pressing [Save], nothing has changed and no network adapter has been added.

CannotAddNICtoVM.png

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Check if vSwitch or dVS is OK and if Port Group exists