VMware Cloud Community
Muzaini
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft Datacenter License on VMWare Host

Hi ,

We have 3 VMWare host and microsoft server 2022 datacenter license covering all physical host as well.

How can we assign microsoft datacenter license to vmware cluster host in order to activate windows VMs on cluster ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

what kind of key do you have? Maks or Kms?
You are the MAK key you can enter it on the hosts without problems.
If the KMS you have to install a KMS server which will issue the licenses to the servers. (They use a DNS record etc)

Frequently Asked Questions for product keys. | Microsoft Learn

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
Muzaini
Contributor
Contributor

We have MAK key, what are the steps to enter the key on vmware host ?

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

you need to ensure you have Windows DataCenter licenses for every core in the ESXi in the cluster.

you don't need to enter the key on the ESXi Host (it is not possible). 

But you need to enter the key on Windows server virtual machine. The same key is for all VMs.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
Muzaini
Contributor
Contributor

It means, I have to enter same key in all VMs so Do I have to install datacenter edition OS on all VMs also ?

What if I already install windows standard OS so do I need to upgrade OS to datacenter edition and always install VMs with datacenter OS ?

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

I am not a Windows License expert but if I remember:
- The Windows datacenter MAK key is not able to use on the standard server (you need to use a specific MAK)
- If you have a KMS key, and install a KMS server, you can license Windows Server Standard o Datacenter with a single KMS Key

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It means, I have to enter same key in all VMs so Do I have to install datacenter edition OS on all VMs also ?
What if I already install windows standard OS so do I need to upgrade OS to datacenter edition and always install VMs with datacenter OS ?

AFAIK Microsoft grants the right to use lower editions as well as lower versions. Assuming that you've purchased the licenses from MS (rather than OEM/ROK), you should be able to get the required installation images, and keys from your Microsoft licensing portal.

André

0 Kudos