VMware Cloud Community
IT_CU_2021
Contributor
Contributor

Issue When Attempting to Load 2016 Server onto new Virtual server

GM, 

I have created a new virtual server, and I am encountering the error when I attempt to load the operating system. It dos not recognize the DVD drive, nor does is recognize a USB flash drive also containing 2016 server. This is my first attempt in creating a virtual server, so I am perplexed with this error.. Could it be the version of VMWare that I'm using, or possibly my predecessor somehow committed a snafu with the installation hence why we can't load it.  We are currently running Version: 1.8.0 - Build number: 4516221 ESXi version: 6.50 -ESXi build number: 4564106. Please see the attached error. 

Thanks, 

Anthony 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reported both threads which you have created in the last couple of days to moderators, there is a whole area of VMTN dedicated to vSphere/ESXi which is where your threads should be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I have seen this problem reportet by dozen of ppl on various VMware related forums. I all cases it was a broken/incomplete Windows ISO downloaded or failed to burn onto disks. The Windows server ISO is > than 2GB which can be challenging for Webserver/Browser or Proxy between.

So please check your download and checksum again. As soon as you have a broken install media is stops when you have to select the installation source within the setup process.

As general... if you create a new VM and you select the right OS than the wizzard automaticly select all virtual HW which a covered by the drivers which are part of a Windows installation CD.

Note: Your VMware version is outdated and way behind a 6.5u3 latest which is 18071574 from 7/13/2021!

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos