VMware Cloud Community
siva12281228
Contributor
Contributor

Hyper-v Gen2 VM to VMware

Hi Team,

I am trying to migrate the Hyper-V Generation 2 VM (windows server 2016, 2019 OS) to VMWare. I have used StarWind and Vmware Vcenter converter standalone apps to convert to VMDK files and imported them to WorkStation. The VMs are fine, connected, and looks good when I selected Firmware type as UEFI. However when I Changed to firmware type to BIOS it failing to load the "Operating system not found". I am guessing It is not a VMware issue, but I am wondering do we have any solution to work as BIOS in WorkStation or change to firmware type as BIOS in Hyper-v generation VM.

Thanks

Samba

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

If the VM is fine and looks OK, why do you want to change the firmware from UEFI to BIOS? If you do have a very specific reason for changing it I would do it before the migration to VMware. But even then, this is not very easy.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
siva12281228
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. We are planning to move Oracle cloud, they support BIOS only.

0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

You are correct this is not a VMware issue at all. This is the Windows bootloader working very differently between UEFi and Legacy (BIOS). Google is your friend.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos