VMware Cloud Community
gbermudez
Contributor
Contributor

Expand Disk - Windows Server 2019

Hi Team,

I need help with a issue that present. Today I realize and extend of the disk of a vm, and I realize the process without a problem.

Captura 1.PNG

But when I try to extend the volume under the management disk of Windows, the option is greyed out.

Captura 2.PNG

What is a possible reason about this issue. I need to realize other step to complete the task.

Regards,

Gabriel Bermudez

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Expanding a partition within Windows requires adjacent free disk space.

In this case it looks like the VM had been converted from a physical system, including some kind of rescue/utility partition.
Either move that partition to the end of the free disk space (using a 3rd party utility), or check whether this partition is still required, and delete it if it is not necessary anymore.
Since it's a VM, you could take a snapshot before you delete that partition, to see whether the VM still boots, and works as expected.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Your screenshot hides all the interesting details ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

There is no drive letter assigned and not a windows filesystem on your partition 3 so most likely you can remove it, but to be sure you should us show more details.

The answer to you questions is that you can only expand the last partition on a volume and not the first one or one on the middle.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos