VMware Cloud Community
rajesharihant
Contributor
Contributor

Copy files from mgmt laptop to VM inside ESXi host.

Hi experts. 

So, I am connected to ESXi host directly via mgmt port using mgmt laptop. I can access datastore and the VM folders. I use winscp to copy/transfer files between datastore and the mgmt laptop. 

Now i want to transfer some files from mgmt laptop to one of the VMs C drive. ofcourse the VM IP ranges are different that of mgmt IP.  

How can I do it in easiest way. 

I researched about this, and found some artilces to use powershell and script etc. which isnt that simple. 

so, if you know an easy way to exchange data then please share the methode. 

Raj

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this relate specifically to ESXi on ARM, or ESXi on x86?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

based on description I'm assuming this is not ESXi-on-Arm Specific, and moving it to a general "windows" guest OS forum.

stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @rajesharihant 

You need to set the following advanced settings on the VMs. You will be able to copy & paste VMs between your laptop and the guest os. 

Name:                                                     Value:
isolation.tools.copy.disable                    FALSE
isolation.tools.paste.disable                   FALSE
isolation.tools.setGUIOptions.enable     TRUE

Enable content Copy/Paste between VMRC client and Windows/Linux Virtual Machine (57122) (vmware.com)

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

I the VM inside the host has a routed network that can connect to the ESXi host, there is nothing stopping you from using the host client and datastore browser or (win)SCP to copy down the files.

Are the networks isolated?

haloOne
Contributor
Contributor

is the ESXi host in a vcenter ?

if so, you can use Copy-VMGuestFile to copy file from local to vm

0 Kudos
rajesharihant
Contributor
Contributor

Yes both networks are isolated....

If I connect the VM to mgmt network on temporary basis....would then I be able to access the VM's C drive via winSCP??

0 Kudos
rajesharihant
Contributor
Contributor

No VCenter Server

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @rajesharihant 

Yes, you should be able to access the C drive. Keep in mind to enable the firewall rule for SMB inbound in case of Windows is used 🙂 I still recommend to set the following advanced settings on the VMs. You will be able to copy & paste VMs between your laptop and the guest os without network connectivity between laptop/client and VM.

Name:                                                     Value:
isolation.tools.copy.disable                    FALSE
isolation.tools.paste.disable                   FALSE
isolation.tools.setGUIOptions.enable     TRUE

Enable content Copy/Paste between VMRC client and Windows/Linux Virtual Machine (57122) (vmware.com)

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
Sam0054
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@rajesharihant 

Can you ping the destination VM from the management laptop?

If so, try connect via the Windows UNC path using the IP address of the VM you are trying to connect to:

i.e. \\172.16.x.x\C$\Temp

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

A powershell oneliner ... ok you need to connect also but

Copy-VMGuestFile -Source c:\foobar.txt -Destination c:\temp\ -VM MyVM -LocalToGuest -HostUser root -HostPassword "VMware1!" -GuestUser administrator -GuestPassword MySecret

doesnt look to complicated.

0 Kudos