VMware Cloud Community
Trennety
Contributor
Contributor

Cold Cloning a 2012R2 DC

Hi guys

It's my first time here so please feel free to correct anything which is wrong.

I have a 2012R2 DC up and running with ADDS, DHCP and DNS. Now i want to clone this so I have two of them in the same network and same roles.

I have follwed these instructions: https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/solutions/Virtualizing-Active-Directory-Domain-Services-on-VMware-v...

The problem I now have, is, everytime I boot up the cloned DC, it just boots with "Getting Devices Ready" instead of booting with SafeGuard.

It does not have the given IP config oin the file. It neither replicates but it has the exact same SID as the old one. (With the command repadmin /showreps)

Note that, the first time I have done it, I did it with a DC-->Template-->Clone of DC and it would boot into SafeGuard with the IPconfig. But somehow it wouldn't have another SID.

But this was the very first time I attempted it, since then It never went into SafeGuard.

Any help would be appreciated.

BR Trennety

3 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What version of vSphere you are using, make sure you have latest VM version upgraded on cloned VM to latest.

Please remember to mark the replies as helpful/answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help.

0 Kudos
Serge7400
Contributor
Contributor

What are you trying to achieve? The AD database is a fragile thing. If you want multiple DC, just create a new VM and add the AD, DNS and DHCP role to it. You can setup DHCP with failover.

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Guys, ignore my comment. This was for another post.

0 Kudos