VMware Cloud Community
EugenX
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot extend volume on Guest OS

Hi all,

I want to extend a volume from 2TB to 4TB. I've made the changes in vSphere but when I want to extend the volume on Guest OS it doesn't let me, the option is greyed out. What I'm doing wrong and how to fix this issue? Thank you in advance.

ZJAjsAt.png

___

dwmSn8S.png

___

blxmePN.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I guess your disk is MBR formatted and any storage space beyond 2TBs will be unusable by Windows if the disk is MBR formatted. In that case you need convert to GPT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
EugenX
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I didn't notice it is MBR formatted. Converting to GPT with a third party tool will do the job? Is it safe for the data already written on the partition?

0 Kudos
amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes there 3rd party tools that can convert to GPT without data loss but make sure you have a decent backup first, you can snapshot the virtual machine before hand. Lastly, Microsoft also provided the MBR2GPT in newer releases of Windows.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

It is not a problem with VMware but with the guest operating system you are using.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2581408/windows-support-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than...

You must open a request in the Microsoft community:

Windows Server Community

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Windows guest area, not a VMware-specific issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos