VMware Cloud Community
BoxiCredy
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic removal of SVGA driver VMware Tools component before starting Windows Server 2012 R2 upgrade to Windows Server 2019

Hi, SVGA driver component of VMware tools is incompatible with Windows Server 2019 hence it has to be removed before upgrade of Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2019 is started. Since I am doing automatic upgrade using System Center Configuration Manager, I am interested to know how to remove SVGA driver automatically without mounting VMware Tools on given Windows Server 2012 R2 VM (also manual removal from Control Panel is out of question too) if possible.

When SVGA driver removal is done manually from Control Panel, temporary msi is created in c:\Windows\Installer folder and installation is run as if VMware Tools are mounted but that does not help me much either. Also servers can have different VMware Tools versions so even if I would use msi of VMware Tools in System Center Configuration Manager several msi files would be needed to cover all versions out there (other team manages vSphere environment but looks like they do not care too much about having all VMs with latest VMware Tools version) and I would have to query system to retrieve VMware Tools version and call corresponding msi with switches to remove SVGA driver.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the features of the msi are listet here : Names of VMware Tools Features Used in Silent Installations

so you must call msiexec with REMOVE=SVGA to uninstall the driver

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Virtual Machine, Guest OS and VM Tools > Windows

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos