VMware Cloud Community
AlexJ2
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a VM to an existing physical Windows Cluster (MSCS)

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to add a VM to an existing Windows Cluster. The existing cluster consists of two physical servers running Server 2012 R2. We are using these two servers as file servers. For added redundancy we would like to add another node to the cluster, however we would like it to a be a VM so we don't need to purchase another physical server. 

I looked up the "Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service" document but the only reference of having a mixed environment was to create a standby host cluster which I don't think is exactly what we are looking for. The document references that the VM would be a standby backup for the physical clustered server. We want the VM to be a regular 3rd node in the cluster.

If anyways has any ideas on how this would work or how to configure it please reach out.

Thanks!

-AlexJ2

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's been years since I dealt with MSCS and with the topic of MSCS on vSphere, but I'm pretty sure you can mix physical and virtual in a single cluster.

This may help: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.wsfc.doc/GUID-1A2476C0-CA66-4B80-B6...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos