VMware Cloud Community
Secret_Doc123
Contributor
Contributor

802.1q (VLAN Tagging) with Windows

802.1q (VLAN Tagging) with Windows

Has anyone been able to do VLAN tagging inside a Windows VM? I have looked it online with regards to this. It is a Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT). However in order to do this, i need to download a 802.1Q VLAN trunking driver to my Vmware. Does anyone have the link for me to download the driver?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Secret_Doc123 

Google took me straight to this KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004252

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Secret_Doc123
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i went to this website and checked, it does have links on it, however, when i tried to install that driver on it, it gives an error that there is no Intel(R) adapter present in my VM Machine. I tried to troubleshoot it by updating the network drive in my virtual machine, it still does not work.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

is your vm configured with vmxnet3 ? change to e1000 - thats mandantory for vgt

0 Kudos
Secret_Doc123
Contributor
Contributor

where can i configure this vmxnet3

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Secret_Doc123 

No, it NEEDS to be e1000 - step 3 of the Configuration of Windows TCP/IP section of the KB article I posted previously.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos