VMware Modern Apps Community
yzhang2017
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to delete metrics from Wavefront?

I am think of of using wavefront as a key-value store for counters, as it is easily available as charts.

However, it would introduce many new keys. I am thinking it might require to delete those keys periodically.

For statsD, to delete an existing key, I could just delete the corresponding whisper directory.

Is this possible to do in wavefront? If so, which wavefront API can do this work?

Or, is introducing new keys (say 2000 per day) not a problem, and they don't need to be deleted? (I read about the pricing, it only charges by rate of writing: https://www.wavefront.com/pricing/ )

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
yzhang2017
Contributor
Contributor

Reading further, the pricing appears to be calculated as  `price = write_per_sec_at_95_percentile * num_datapoints`. So, despite the storage of data is free and the new datapoints don't as many write, the pricing will still be the top write_per_sec from the other part. Plus the addition of the new datapoints, the cost would increase drastically.

So, it appears not to be a good idea to implement in this way as for higher cost.

0 Kudos
humphrey_wf
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi there,

I guess this is a pretty late response - sorry Smiley Sad.

No, there is no way to manually delete metrics.

The pricing is dependent on points per second. If you're sending 2000 points per day, that works out to 2000/(24*60*60) = .02 PPS (points per second), which is pretty low.

0 Kudos