VMware Modern Apps Community
bradleyka93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alert name character limit.

So I tried creating an alert recently using the API however I'm getting a 400 error with the following body:

{

"error": "parameter_error",

"message": "name must be between 1 and 100 characters",

"trackingId": "f5046355-4c07-44c2-876-7d442f473788"

}

Is there no way to circumvent this when creating alerts via the API? It's important, otherwise would not be asking. Any comments are appreciated : )

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bradleyka93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

avijay_medallia_comLevel 1

More importantly, why is this not documented anywhere?

0 Kudos
bradleyka93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jason_goocherLevel 5

Hi avijay_medallia_com,

The API currently does not include a way to bypass the 100 character limit for Alert names. We could request a reasonable character limit increase from engineering. Is there a character limit increase that would help with your use case?

In regards to it not being documented, this was an oversight on our part and is in the process of being added to documentation. Thank you for catching that!

Kind Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos
bradleyka93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Alert name character limit.

avijay_medallia_comLevel 1

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the response. Two requests for you:

1.) Can you please find out if there are any other limits enforced on any other of the api fields?

2.) Can we increase the character limit to the standardized 255?

0 Kudos
bradleyka93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Alert name character limit.

jason_goocherLevel 5

Hey avijay_medallia_com,

1) I will begin the process of determining any additional char limits that we have in place and will share those findings with you once complete.

2) We actually created a JIRA ticket to increase the limit at the time of your initial posting. I added in your suggestion of 255 char limit, and will make sure product team is aware. I do not have an ETA at this time though as to when that will be implemented. I'll do my best to try and pin that down and will follow up with you.

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos