VMware Cloud Community
rachlitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esx vminstance w/win2003&oracle 10g boot-up - a slow dog. Need help

Hello,

I just virtualized (esx) a system that I'm running Oracle 10g and an application called Dimensions - a config mgt java application served out with tomcat. I'm on Win2003 R2.

I'm the dba, not vmware admin. Problem - the vminstance when booted, starts all services, but is dog slow for a few hours. It seems like it needs to "ramp-up". I see no evidence of this on a similar stand-alone win2003 box w/the same software installed. The services, such as Oracle and Dimensions application are so slow and unresponsive as to be impossible to use. After a few hours everything is fine. Very good response and everything is fine.

Was wondering if anyone else had the same problems and if anyone can suggest oracle init param changes or vmware config changes to help this boot-up problem. The virtual instance was set-up w/4 CPU and 4 GB ram, just like the orig box it was virtualixed from. The vmbox has 2 quad core CPUs and I think 12 GB ram (not sure). Also there are maybe 6 other virtualized OSes on the vmserver. We have a single EMC lun holding all virtualized OSes.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You might want to look at the number of CPUs - VMware uses CPUs differently than a physical server. Another thing to check would be your device manager - If you virtualized a physical server, then a lot of devices are left behind that consumre resources and adversely affect performance.

There are a number of threads in the Installation & Configuration forums on both these topics.

My Oracle Team used 10g on Solaris 10 and we don't have any problems with booting - Solaris 10 x86 & Oracle 10g are 64 bit version - 3 GB RAM, 2cCPU.

Servers ESX 3.0.1 - IBM blades with 16 GB RAM.

HTH

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You might want to look at the number of CPUs - VMware uses CPUs differently than a physical server. Another thing to check would be your device manager - If you virtualized a physical server, then a lot of devices are left behind that consumre resources and adversely affect performance.

There are a number of threads in the Installation & Configuration forums on both these topics.

My Oracle Team used 10g on Solaris 10 and we don't have any problems with booting - Solaris 10 x86 & Oracle 10g are 64 bit version - 3 GB RAM, 2cCPU.

Servers ESX 3.0.1 - IBM blades with 16 GB RAM.

HTH

Mike

0 Kudos
rachlitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Mike - You are correct, we lowered the virtual cpu's from 4 to 2 and it now boots fine and reponse is great! Oracle/Tomcat services are happy!

No more running intu a cpu wall and having bad response time.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos