VMware Cloud Community
jfakka
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle and backups/recovery of VM Server

Hi all

I am having difficulty in finding doco on whats required for backing up oracle thats running within a VM

Links / thoughts / experiences ??

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I've the same problem in finding specific documents for Oracle backup on VMware ESX

We are going to move Oracle applications installed on a RedHat AS 2.1 cluster with EMC CX300 san storage to a couple of RedHat VMs running on vmware ESX 3.5 with EMC CX310 san storage.

In the current configuration Oracle cold backup procedure is :

Stop of DB and applications, take a snapshot of filesystems using EMC snapview, restart of DB and applications. The backup server is another RedHat system connected to the san. It mounts the snapshot filesystems and backups the content.

In the new ESX environment we are going to use VCB (Vmware Consolidated Backup) and I understood that the procedure will be similar, but I was unable to find case studies or suggestions specific for Oracle.

Any suggestion is appreciated,

Valter

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey jfakka,

Thanks for emailing about my experiences running Oracle as a VM and also my backup experiences. I sent you a response tonight. If I find any good documentation I will send them to you.

Pete@esxpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
vlelli
Contributor
Contributor

We installed ESX 3.5 and we moved our oracle cluster (AS 2.1) to VM.

The cluster was disabled. We'll use HA feature. So we have 2 nodes with redhat AS 2.1. (Application and DB)

For backup we are using VBC installed on the backup proxy server and Backup exec 11d.

On the proxy server were created 2 bat files: backup-machinename.bat and end-backup.bat

backup-machinename.bat contain the commands to crate a snapshot of the VM, and to copy the snapshot to a local folder on the backup proxy:

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\backupexec\pre-backup.bat" VM machinename-FullVM

when this command runs the following 3 steps are executed:

1 on the linux box is executed (if exists) the script: /usr/sbin/pre-freeze-script here were put the commands to stop the DB

2 the a snapshot of machinename is created

3 and the /usr/bin/post-thaw-script is executed here is the restart of the DB

Here we have the DB running and it takes only a couple of minutes for shut/snapshot/restart

4 a copy of the snapshot is copied on the backup proxy server

this copy will be put on tape

when the copy to tape is completed the end-backup.bat is executed to remove the local copy of the VM and the snapshot

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\backupexec\post-backup.bat" VM

The only drawback for linux machines is that all the VM is saved. there is no way to backup only the f.s. where datafiles are

Valter

0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use EsXpress to backup and restore our Oracle 9i and 10G enviroments. There is a little bit of data recovery when bringing them up, due the fact of the vm being in snapshot mode whne the backup is created.

But it does work, and is allot faster than Tape restore.

Mike M.

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks Mike for mentioning our backup product.

If you have any questions on it let me know.

Pete@esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
Topski
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Please have a look at

Can anyone comment on that ? Might be relevant for this thread.

BR,

Ronald

0 Kudos