VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

Oracle and Vmware (What is best practice about single instance oracle installation on virtual machine )

Hi

I have installed a single instance oracle (not oracle RAC just one node ) on vmware but just want to know what is vmware recommend for install an oracle production on a vm in cluster some questions such as :

Is there any issue due vmotion for that vm ?

Is that recommend to fix this machine on a specific host ?

actually I read some document about that but could not find specific answer about that ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Lots of best practices here: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/vmware-oracle-databases-...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Virtualizing Oracle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Is that recommending use vmotion for single-instance oracle's VM or propose disable this feature for that VM?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No idea, haven’t read it cover to cover - did you find any mention in the document?

A quick google search took me to these:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/using-vmware-vmotion-ora...

http://www.principledtechnologies.com/VMware/vMotion_Oracle_RAC_1013.pdf

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks, but before that I saw all of those documents but most of them are more long past period time and previous version for example esxi 5.0 , Also my intend was to use others experience about that

BR

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Both documents say vMotion is fine, if it was when they were written then it would be now too. Perhaps you need to setup a proof of concept and try it for yourself.

0 Kudos