VMware Cloud Community
CyberV
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle Licensing + VMware ESX + Quadcore

Hi !

I have a very good question for all the Oracle "GURU" here ... Here is the scenario :

We have 2 x VMware ESX server (HP DL380 G5) - Each have 2 x Intel Quaq-core.

We want to virtualize under VMware 4 x Oracle server :

- 1 x Server de BD Oracle 10g (linux)

- 1 x Application Server Oracle 10g AS (Infrastructure) (linux)

- 2 x Application Server Oracle 10g AS (Middle-Tier) (linux)

SO my question is !!! How many license i will need for these 4 Oracle server on my 2 new VMware ESX server with 2 Quadcore in each ?

Not an easy one ... I know.

Any help will be apprecited

Thanx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Please take a look at this discussion on licensing for AS and DB:

Mike

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We were lucky with our Oracle environments when we moved them to virtuals as our licensing was all Named Users.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
ymcp
Contributor
Contributor

What about the issue that Oracle require a certain minimum number of named users per CPU?

With Enterprise Edition the current minimum is 25 users per CPU, so a server with 16 CPUs must be licensed for a minimum of 400 users. The current list price for that is around $200,000 which could well be a problem!

0 Kudos
that1guynick
Contributor
Contributor

Basically, in the x86 world, and Oracle Enterprise, your license multiplier is x0.5 (x0.75 for SPARC).

So, you have a couple of 2-socket, quad-core, DL380's.

The standard answer is: Per HP box, that will require FOUR Orcl enterprise licenses. (8 cores * 0.5 * 1xORCL)

Now, where it gets tricky is with the HA/DRS stuff, and multiple ESX/vSphere hosts in clusters. In traditional environments, a lot of people do not license standby machines, as they are simply there for hardware redundancy so that you can MANUALLY fail over to that should your production box go kaput. Oracle does not require you to license this.

The other option is, you can set up RAC to cluster the two machines, but THEN, Oracle requires you to license BOTH boxes, or (16 * 0.5 * 1xORCL), due to the fact that you'd be sharing load between both boxes live or automatically (i.e. clustered, or automatic-failover-scenarios/active-passive, etc)

Now, let's relate that to how ESX hosts work in clusters. Your Solaris/Linux/Windows "VM" that is running Oracle is essentially the equivalent of ONE of your physical boxes. But you don't have two, right? Well, this is the grey area. At any given time, you could lose an ESX host, or DRS could vMotion that VM over to the other host with little to no downtime, all done automatically. Even if you have multiple VM's with anti-affinity rules in place, there's still a likelihood that at any given time, that VM could live on either of those two hosts, which makes it a live box, not a standby for hardware redundancy.

So, what you have to come to terms with, is that your VM running Oracle will NEVER EXIST ON MORE THAN ONE HOST AT A TIME. Oracle reps/sales will fight you to the teeth on this, but even Gartner has questioned their tactics on this. You're going to get a lot of pushback. Be prepared for it.

I've been fighting this same battle for over a year now, and just recently claimed victory, convincing my superiors this was the right way to go.

Go virtual, or go home.
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

good explanation

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos