VMware Cloud Community
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

wich linux partition type for vmware virtual disks?

Hi,

So, say I will use Server or Workstation and install it under some Linux. Wich linux partition type should I use for the partitions where vmware virtual disks (.vmdk) for my virtual machines will be (Ex3, ReiserFs, JFS, XFS)? Wich one performs best in this case?

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

JFS and XFS are the fastest, but personally (call me old fashioned Smiley Happy ) I prefer to stick to ext3 for vmware disks files...

I've found ext3 to be rock solid compared to the "newer" JFS/XFS

Reliability is far more important than performance imho...

In the end I would say pick the one you feel the most comfortable with in case of troubles: which one will you be able to fix the most easily, which one is supported by your tools etc...

Don't forget even the fastest filesystem can't magically transform a low end disk subsystem into an ultrafast storage subsystem...

So pick a fast raid controller with onboard cache, fast disks etc...

stay away from fake raid controllers, very popular lately Smiley Sad

just my .02 eur Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When running VMware Server or Workstation on a Linux OS you can format all your host partitions as ext3.

Jason

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

When running VMware Server or Workstation on a Linux OS you can format all your host partitions as ext3.

Well, Jason, I believe this. But is Ext3 really the best choice among other journaling file systems (as mentioned above)?

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

JFS and XFS are the fastest, but personally (call me old fashioned Smiley Happy ) I prefer to stick to ext3 for vmware disks files...

I've found ext3 to be rock solid compared to the "newer" JFS/XFS

Reliability is far more important than performance imho...

In the end I would say pick the one you feel the most comfortable with in case of troubles: which one will you be able to fix the most easily, which one is supported by your tools etc...

Don't forget even the fastest filesystem can't magically transform a low end disk subsystem into an ultrafast storage subsystem...

So pick a fast raid controller with onboard cache, fast disks etc...

stay away from fake raid controllers, very popular lately Smiley Sad

just my .02 eur Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thaks rsa911. I do have a fast SATA disk system (3ware 9650SE + 2x WD500YS in RAID1 + 4x WD500YS in RAID5 + 1x WD500YS as Single drive). I will give it a try with XFS as it is really the fastest overall as much as I have been reading various tests ... however ... yes, I agree with you it might not be the most reliable. Will do some test Ext3 vs XSF and see if there will actualy be some difference in speed...

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you could also use ext3 on the raid1 volume for critical / core Vms and XFS on the raid5 volumes for less important / bulk data ones...

as long as you have good backups (remember to install backup agents inside the VMs) you should be safe !