VMware Cloud Community
mripper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

__vmware_user__ questions!!

I know that this might not be in the right place, but I am in need of some help. I am relatively new to VM and am currently enrolled in networking classes that utilize its technologies. The question that i have for all of you fine people is what is the default password for the user __vmware_user__ ? I am attempting to learn more about tidying up my workstation and would like to know about this possible security risk.

Thank you for your time and help!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The password for __vmware_user__ is randomly generated from Win32's built-in random number generator (RSA provider), and is regenerated each time the Authorization service starts.

So I literally cannot tell you what the password is Smiley Happy

The user's security credentials are used as part of the mechanism to reconnect to a headless VM; to connect, you either have to be Administrator or you have to talk to the Authorization service which does have the credentials and can open a connection on your behalf. (The UI does this internally.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - do you know what product is being used for your class? There is no default password that I am aware of used in any of our products - they are configured during installation -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The password for __vmware_user__ is randomly generated from Win32's built-in random number generator (RSA provider), and is regenerated each time the Authorization service starts.

So I literally cannot tell you what the password is Smiley Happy

The user's security credentials are used as part of the mechanism to reconnect to a headless VM; to connect, you either have to be Administrator or you have to talk to the Authorization service which does have the credentials and can open a connection on your behalf. (The UI does this internally.)

0 Kudos
mripper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for both replies, they were very helpful!

It has set my mind at ease, as brute forcing, or sam hacking would be rather difficult as the password is randomized per virtualization start.

THANKS AGAIN!

0 Kudos