VMware Cloud Community
prodest
Contributor
Contributor

vm system hang detection modes

Hi:

I know i can use alarms to detect if the vm system has a blue screen or its hang but after some tests i see its not the accurate i wish. Is there any other metod to do this task ? any tip ll be welcome:)

thx an sry my crappy english

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Well, it's going to depend on what you mean by "hang"...sometimes you have a situation where the OS is not responding to interactive requests, but the primary application is doing just fine.

The best way is to develop your own monitoring system that tests what's important to you. For example, you could have something that loads a web page once every minute to ensure your web server is alive. If it fails two or three times in a row, you declare the server dead and force a reboot. This has an added benefit in that you can keep track of the performance you're getting from your application...

KLC

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
prodest
Contributor
Contributor

And there is any tool for that kind of monitoring like web or ping , and being capable of send the reboot order to the esx ?

0 Kudos