VMware Cloud Community
pankuuchan
Contributor
Contributor

virtualization in software testing

Hi,

How and where can i use Virtualization technique for doing

1) Web Application testing(particularly)?

2)Products testing (apart from multi environment testing)?

Thanks

pankuu

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Well I think we just have to think that the VM you are going to use is same as physical machines as far as vmware tools are concerened its just a set of Virtualized device drivers installed in the Guest.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

How and where can i use Virtualization technique for doing

1) Web Application testing(particularly)?

I do this all the time, use Workstation, VMPlayer, VMware Server, ESX, or ESXi for any of these.

2)Products testing (apart from multi environment testing)?

Same thing, perfect use for Virtualization.

I am just not sure of your question, are you asking which product or best tool or ....?

For picking a tool, consider where your customers may use the application and test accordingly.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

It depends on your budget and types of hardware you get, but lots of solutions such as freebies VMware Server, Microsoft Virtual PC Server and ESXi as well, but for home use I would use VMware Workstation 6.5 because you can also test out ESX 3.5 platforms for education purpose. You can also try out Oracle VM, Citrix Xen as well. More details how to implement this will be on google and www.xtravirt.com

My programmers/developers have their own ESX 3.5 clusters farm for testing codes but for home or small work lab, using any above programs should be fine.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The one feature with virtualization that you can use with software testing is snapshots. That is add a snapshot to the VM, make your changes whatever they are. If there is a major issue then revert to the snapshot and start again.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos