VMware Cloud Community
RSEngineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vMotion and Migrating VM Policies

The Cisco 1000v vDS virtual switch, which acts as a plugin to the VMware vDS, allows stateless computing by simplfying policy migration during a vMotion event. In the 1000v, a port profile that includes security and QoS policies is created and applied to the virtual interfaces that face the VM vNICs. The port profile is automatically translated into a port-group in vCenter. Therefore, when a VM is moved to another ESX host, the policy follows it.

What policy configurations can one configure for a VM if the VMware VDS is used instead of the Cisco 1000v?

Does the VMware vDS switch allow policy migration when doing a vMotion?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please see  http://www.vmware.com/products/vnetwork-distributed-switch/features.html for details on vDS and NEXUS 1000V.

André

0 Kudos
heloma
Contributor
Contributor

I went through all Cisco documents regarding the port-security and other features, but I didn't see anything that could hide a port profile from a virtual machine nic properties...

I am a network/security admin, I don't give servers admin the permission to change network configuration, except the ability to bind a vm to a specific port-profile. I want to hide vmotion and iscsi port-profiles to prevent Sysadmin guys to use it by mistake.

0 Kudos