VMware Cloud Community
db9r
Contributor
Contributor

newbie.. This is what I wish to do - possible? - Workstation or ESXi

Is this possible?

I will be putting together a new quad core system but I'm unsure as if I understand VMware and if it is the best way of achiving what I want to do. I'm looking to get feedback from others as to my initial setup.

I would like to do the following..I have 5 users on a home LAN

I'm not sure the best way of getting the following..

the 'new' PC would have

1) Base OS (server 2003 or Linux app server if workable) application server (Word/Excel) with users data backed up onto a RAID - RAID would be the same PC.

2) OS (XP) for Engineering work

3) Linux for engineering work & general web access (email & web browsing)

4) OS (XP) for media work

5) temp OS for messing around

NOT doing work all at the same time.

I had been thinking that I would install a base OS (server 03 or Linux) and run 2,3,4&5 on VM's running #'s 3&4 at boot up (with #3 backing up to the RAID if possible) and #'s 2&5 when needed. I would also like to be able to remote in from my LAN (VNC/NX or remote desktop & run a suspended session) to the VM's to do admin or start a transcode (in the case of #4) and then come back to it later.

Part of this is to replace an older Linux RAID box on the LAN and to increase its function.

Part of this is to learn - the other is I'm the 6th user and the home system admin and I typically don't have a PC to use. I can log in using a 'older' laptop and run my engineering apps that need to run for a length of time unatended.

Should I run a base OS and then VM machines - rebuilding these VM as needed if I mess it up (in case 5) can I backup a VM with acronis?

OR run ESXi (if I understand it correctly) adding/subracting OS's as needed with other OS backing up to a OS (say OS #1) that has a RAID as an install.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like Workstation would do what you want,

Just to be clear, Workstation runs on an existing OS and your VMs run within that.

ESXi would also work but you need a way to administer them. This is usually a seperate Physical box on your LAN.

To backup a VM, I would usaully shut it off and take a copy of it to a new location.

Your query on "remote in" will depend on your setup. if you mean remote into the VM's admin console then that depends on the Base OS config.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
db9r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Joe..

I could remote admin from my 'old' laptop if this makes a difference.

Can I VNC into a VM session?

Would ESXi offer anything that Workstation doesn't? (in this case)

Recommended reading for doing this kind of setup (Workstation) or is this typical?

Regards

Stephen

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stephen,

Yes VNC will work fine as long as you set it up in the Guest OS.

ESXi will save on some of the overhead of having a large OS installed on the PC but it can be harder to manage unless your comfortable in setting it up.

For docs:

Also remember to backup whatever PC/laptop you are going to try this on first....just in case :smileygrin:

I think ESXi will format your drive.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

I could remote admin from my 'old' laptop if this makes a difference.

Not only would you need to use a remote access solution for administration, but for pretty much anything to do with the system. ESXi has essentially no user interface. If you want to sit at your system and do useful work - without having to connect to a VM via the network using VNC, RDP, X-Windows or something else - then you should consider Workstation or VMware Server (which, like ESXi, is free). Since you are new to virtualization, I would suggest that you start out with VMware Server. It's free, it allows you to create/modify virtual machines, and it installs as an application/service/daemon on your existing OS.

If, after having used Server for a while, you find that it doesn't meet your needs, then look to ESXi.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

TVAR Solutions, A Wells Landers Group Company

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos