VMware Cloud Community
VM_appliance
Contributor
Contributor

how to create Virtual Appliance

hi,

Which VMWare product supports building/creating a Virtual Appliance, also how to build one?

Thanks,

KK

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Start here

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You can export directly from your VI-3 enivrionment - File=>VIrtual Applicance=> Export - this is form the VI Client -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Here is a best practices for creating Virtual Appliance from VMworld 2007 you can read more details and check out rPath product.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
VM_appliance
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stefyan,

Thanks for the doc, it was really helpful. BTW i 've created one ,can you chk whether the steps involved is the right one or did I misunderstood anything here,

just to ensure whether my steps to create VA is correct,

Created a VM with follwoing spec,

VM edition: VM server 1.0.3

I/O adapter type- SCSI adapters- LSI logic

10GB HDD using New VD type SCSI

1GB RAM

Bridged networking

Installed the OS and the application,

Copied the .VM and .VMDK files from the original location to other location and TAR it.

Is this the right process? I've copied the .rar file to another server installed with VM server 1.0.4 , un tar the file and opened the file .VM and it opened in my VM server 1.0.4 . when I click start the VM, I got a popup, just selected the keep since it was copied and I am able to get the pre-loaded VM with OS and Application.

Pls comment.

Thanks,

KK

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to take a look at the Open Virtual Machine Format Tool. There's a download link at the bottom of this page for the tool - http://www.vmware.com/appliances/learn/ovf.html.

0 Kudos
VM_appliance
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks folks,

0 Kudos