VMware Cloud Community
overFlo
Contributor
Contributor

how can i pass a shell command to my guest os?

hello world!

i'm relatively new to this whole vm-thingy, but i'll try to explain my problem:

let's say i have a suse linux machine running a vmware xp guest os. linux runs a program called a render client. it receives a command via tcp/ip and launches the corresponding application on linux including commandline switches and paths. after the process of the launched app quits (because it's done rendering) the render client sends back a signal to it's render manager (running somewhere else on the network) and waits for the next job to process.

now this is what i want to do, i don't know if it's possible with vmware:

i want my render client on linux to pass commands that it receives to the windows shell of the xp guest os.

here again, a little more specific:

i have a render manager running on my network called "renderpal". it sends commands to all of it's clients and the clients launch their "job". let's say i'm running apple shake on linux and it's doing the distributed rendering of large frame sequences for me. now i have autodesk combustion running on the windows guest os. is there a way to pass the linux renderpal client command to the guest os app combustion?

help is greatly appreciated!

flo

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

If you can do it across an Ethernet network, you can do it between your host and your guest...otherwise, you're out of luck!

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
overFlo
Contributor
Contributor

but how?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How would you do it if these were physical machines not virtual machines?

Do it the same way

0 Kudos
msgertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use ssh and sudo to run commands.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

flo,

You don't specify your VMware product, but I understand that you're using a hosted product. VMware Server and Workstation 6.0 includes the Vix API[/url], and it's actually possible to use this API[/url] to run commands inside the guests[/url] if the guests have the VMware Tools installed.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Prog_API_Prog_Guide.pdf

Good luck!

Lars

0 Kudos