VMware Cloud Community
OmahaScooby
Contributor
Contributor

hello Everyone,

I am new to the virtualization world but have a high level of interest. I want to know if there is a planning tool to help my "Size" my guest servers on a host server. Sorry if the terminology is not correct but that will come with time. I have a 4 server Citrix farm that I would like to virtualize Do I just by the most robust server I can afford and build my host servers or is there some reference to view.

Appreciate any response

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I am new to the virtualization world but have a high level of interest. I want to know if there is a planning tool to help my "Size" my guest servers on a host server. Sorry if the terminology is not correct but that will come with time.

There are several tools available. The VMware Capacity Planner is definitely worth checking out. The VMware Capacity Planner will involve working with a VMware partner. Platespin also offers Recon. There are many options out there.

>I have a 4 server Citrix farm that I would like to virtualize Do I just by the most robust server I can afford and build my host servers or is there some reference to view.

You could take this approach, but it is always better to use the applications listed above or other metrics to size your servers appropriately. To achieve a decent ROI with virtualization, you need to boycott the "buy the biggest thing we can afford" approach. Both of the products listed above ultimately discover what resources your servers are using and then make recommendations for sizing your ESX hosts. If you have lots of time to spare, you can actually even use Windows perfmon and do the work yourself. It comes down to knowing what your workloads are and then building an infrastructure that can support them.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos