VMware Cloud Community
pfunck1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

copying files from isolated VM in test lab

1. 2- ESX host- 2-networks:

Network 1 connects to our live network-

Network 2 connects to our test environment within ESX- the test network is completely inside ESX host, no outbound NICs!

Here is my problem/situation:

One of the developers has created some programs in the test network. He

would like us to copy these files into his private drive on the live

network. How do I go about getting his files?

Thank you again for your suggestions:

Pfunck!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Add a new virtual disk file (.vmdk) to the isolated VM. Copy the data you want over to it, shut down the isolated VM Remove the newly added virtual disk drive (or just leave the VM powered off). Add a new virtual disk drive to your exposed VM and select to use an existing disk file - browse to your newly created .vmdk. Power up the exposed VM and have fun.

Alternatively, you could just - temporarily - connect the isolated VM to a vSwitch that has access to the outside world...

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
avarcher
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Here is one for small files, attach a blank floppy image to the internal VMs, format it and write the files, detach the floppy from the internal VM and attach to an external facing VM and copy the files over the network from there. I'm not sure if you can create a CDR ... anyone?

pfunck1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Avarcher, your answer did help with the small files but I also need to move some big files.

Thank You,

Pfunck

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Repeat the same process with a .vmdk file - it can be as large as you want...you'll just have to power the VM off to remove the virtual disk drive.

Ken Cline

Wells Landers

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
pfunck1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ken,

I am fairly new to Vmware area, can you please give me more details on your suggestion:

Repeat the same process with a .vmdk file - it can be as large as you want..

I got the floppy part working as suggested by previous post.

Thank You,

Pfunck1

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Add a new virtual disk file (.vmdk) to the isolated VM. Copy the data you want over to it, shut down the isolated VM Remove the newly added virtual disk drive (or just leave the VM powered off). Add a new virtual disk drive to your exposed VM and select to use an existing disk file - browse to your newly created .vmdk. Power up the exposed VM and have fun.

Alternatively, you could just - temporarily - connect the isolated VM to a vSwitch that has access to the outside world...

Ken Cline

Wells Landers

0 Kudos
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you want to avoid turning off the VM, you can always use a 3rd party app like Roxio (to dump your data into) and create an ISO, then load as a CD.

-D

0 Kudos